This is the review for the MA Museum and Exhibition Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago. If you didn’t know already, here are some facts about the university and the program:
- The program does not require the GRE
- The program requires students to complete a thesis or capstone project
- The program partners with the Jane Addams Hull-House Museum and Gallery 400
- UIC is among the nation’s top five most diverse campuses
These facts were found here and here. Continue reading “University of Illinois at Chicago”
Updated on March 3, 2018 to incorporate additional responses.
This is the review of the History program at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro. For starters, here are some facts about the program and the university:
- The degree offered at UNCG is an M.A. in History with a concentration in Museum Studies and is a 36 credit degree.
- Graduates of the program automatically become members of the Museum Studies/Historic Preservation Graduate Student Group (MSHP) which organizes community and recreational activities for the group.
- The GRE is required to apply and there is a required capstone project to graduate.
Continue reading “University of North Carolina-Greensboro”
This is the review for Wright State University’s graduate program in History with a concentration in Public History. For starters, here are some facts about the program and university:
- The concentration is designed by those interested in working in archives and/or museums. Students can focus on either archives or museums studies or are able to take a little of both, according to the Director, Dr. Drew Swanson.
- The History program offers graduate tuition scholarships for incoming graduate students and graduate assistantships for second-year graduate students.
- Students are required to complete a capstone project in order to graduate
- History professors teach the required classes while adjuncts who work in their field (archives or museums) teach the specialized courses
- Alumni currently have positions all over the U.S. from the National Archives in Maryland to the Jamestown Sklallam Tribe in Washington
Continue reading “Wright State University”
This is the review for the Master of Arts in Museum Studies at the University of Oklahoma. For starters, here are some facts about the university and program:
- The degree is entirely online though they offer on-campus classes depends on the number of students enrolled at each location
- The University of Oklahoma of Liberal Studies publishes the Journal of Museum Studies, that from the sound of it, gives students and professors the chance to publish.
- The program is a 33 credit course and requires the completion of a thesis or research project or a museum elective with an exam at the end
These facts were found here. Continue reading “University of Oklahoma”
Please note: this program is closing after its 2017 class graduates. Source.
Updated on February 19, 2017 to incorporate additional responses.
This is the review for the Historical Administration program at Eastern Illinois University. Here are some quick facts about the program to get you started:
- Requires a six-month internship and research paper
- There have been 370 graduates from this program since 1975
- The program offers five to nine graduate assistantships per year that include full tuition waiver and monthly stipend
These facts were found here, here, and here. Continue reading “Eastern Illinois University”
This is the review for the Museum Studies program at Syracuse University, College of Visual and Performing Arts. If you weren’t previously aware, here are some facts about the university and its Museum Studies program:
- The program has a Museums and Contemporary Practices MAYmester course where students spend a week in D.C. or NYC taking private tours and meeting with museum professionals.
- There are 161 graduate students enrolled in the College of Visual and Performing Arts with 61% identifying as females
- GRE is not required, however, if you submit them, they will be reviewed.
This information was found here, here and here. Continue reading “Syracuse University”
This is the review for Baylor Universtiy’s M.A. in Museum Studies program. Here are some quick facts about the University and its program:
- Baylor University is the “oldest continually operating university in Texas”
- As of Fall 2016, there are 2,611 graduate students enrolled at Baylor
- The university offers scholarships and loans as well graduate assistantships through the Museum Studies program.
- Baylor University is the home to the Mayborn Museum Complex and the Martin Museum of Art
Continue reading “Baylor University”